Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

General Conference, Thrifting and Secrets



It's been so long since I have blogged! (oops) Anyway, my life's been a little crazy lately but in a totally good, life -improving sort of way. I'll be the first to admit it being a high school Senior is tough, and fun and sad, but I seem to be doing okay so far :) . 
I thought I'd start by sharing a lovely little video we (my amazing seminary class and I) watched in seminary today. It's just explainin' a little thing called General Conference! enjoy:

I'm super excited for General Conference. It's a great opportunity for me (and anyone else) to receive spiritual inspiration and answers to some really tough questions I've been trying to answer. 
On a much more superficial note, I got new clothes! Today I went thrifting, which a magical word which means I look gorgeous for almost nothing! As long as I've been interested in buying clothes, which admittedly has only be a few years, I've appreciated the cheap prices of the Deseret Industries (D.I.) Thrift Store in St. George. The clothes there were usually pretty worn, but it was worth it to get them at a third or fourth of their original price. 
Then recently I read this amazing article on thrifting ( I'll post the link at the bottom, you really should read it). And with my fellow blogger's magical words my eyes were opened to a world of possibilities. Why is it that we spend so much on new clothes when gently worn clothes are all around us filling up landfills because people don't seem to understand washing machines? You're right, there simply isn't a good reason. So with my desire to look fabulous, my twenty dollar budget and directions to the two local thrift stores I set out in search of mind-boggling deals. And guess what, I found them! It was all very thrilling. I spent... drum roll please. . . . . . . . . . .  $11.50 on 11 items. And they're all beautiful! None of them have any visible wear or stains and they're all so cute. Ahhhhh....
Finally, secrets. shhhhh.... Surprise! I'm not sharing any of my secrets, I just thought I'd mention this cool little thing called Post Secret. This totally cool guy, Frank Warren, asked some strangers to anonymously send him a secret of their's on a postcard. Before he knew it his mailbox was exploding with postcards or something like that. So he collected them, put them in art exhibits and finally published them as books for the general public. So far I've read PostSecret, The Secret Lives of Men and Women, Confessions on Life, Death, and God, and My Secret. The books were hilarious, disturbing, thought provoking, inspiring, depressing, disgusting and sometimes just scary. I'd highly recommend them though they can be a bit disturbing like I mentioned and a few of the postcards are a bit PG13. In any case some of my favorite secrets from the books were:


I have stopped holding in my farts when I'm around you.


I love going poop because it is like weightloss w/o exercise.


I stopped mailing in my secrets because I never want them to end up in one of the postsecret books ever again.


I'm so afraid that GOD is sexist.


I'm not a racist, but I think Hitler was Sexy.


every vacation i sneak out and go skinny-dipping


I  I.D. middle-aged women because I like to think it makes their day!


I once gave LSD to a possum


He's been in prison for 2 years for a crime I committed. 9 years to go.


General Conference, Thrifting, and PostSecret, I highly recommend you try all of them.


http://rookiemag.com/2012/03/thrifting-the-master-class/

No comments:

Post a Comment